#8 How Many Animals Have You Owned...and of those, how many of them were cats?
Bonus: What's the most unique animal you've owned?
Josh and I have had over 100 pets...19 of them were cats. Josh has owned 1 fish which he and I got on his 4th birthday outing...he appropriately name it 'Joe' after his cousin. He found him "sleepig" on his back a few days later...very dissapointing.Now, about 70 of our pets were fish, and yes, I'm counting the individual fish because I HATE fish and disliked looking at each one. Although, we had about 10 salt water fish, which I actually liked. My most unusual pet was actually my first pet...It was a chipmunk and her name was Teresa.
Now, I'm asking the cat question, because cats came up on Sarah's blog and I just have to say that I've had a love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with them. When we had first moved, my sisters convinced my mom to let them get this little black kitten from the Kiesers (yes, Sarah, Sharon, Denise, and Diann Kieser). I don't know why, but I couldn't stand the kitten...I thought it was ugly and I just didn't like it. Well, it spent 1 day with us only to be killed by the neighbor's German Shepard (trained by the K-9 cops!), Sheena. I don't know why, but as soon as I saw the dead kitten, I just sobbed like I had lost my best friend. Bi-polar, yes. The three of us went out to the nearby field to bury the kitten and I prayed that the Lord would resurrect this kitten. I had such the faith of Abraham that I convinced my sisters not to pack the dirt around it too tight and leave the head above ground so it could breath as it pawed its way out once the Lord brought it back to life.
When my parents heard of what we were asking of God and had wiped buckets of tears...they knew something must be done. We went and picked up 2 kittens that my mom's coworker was trying to get rid of. This began 3 generations of cats in our home. By the end, they were so inter-'married', that they became very mentally unstable as they would hide in the the bushes, waiting for us to walk out, and then they would attack. It was truly frightening! To this day, I dislike cats because of this. The end to this long line of insanity came when I dropped something in front of our lawnmower, which our psycho cat was standing on. When I bent down to pick it up, the cat lunged at me scratching me pretty badly.
My mom was so upset that she decided to do what any normal person would...put the cat in a tupperware container and drop it off at a Subway dumpster for "some nice college student to adopt". There were a lot of things wrong with that last sentence, but nonetheless...true.
So there you have it...my history with cats.
21 comments:
You had both Darin and I laughing so much! I cant imagine your mom putting a cat in a tupperware container...she sure gave you girls a lot of funny stories to share!
Total pets 33
Dogs - 14
cats - 4
birds - 3
fish - 12
most unusual is from Darin - albino parakeet but I always wanted a koala bear :)
Crazy story, Tami! Are you sure you didn't make some of that up? What a funny story about the cat and the dumpster. Poor college student and poor cat!! :-)
Now I'm curious if your mom poked holes in this tupperware container because all I can imagine is the container fogging up and the cat being dead by the time you got to the dumpster. I would be a little skeptical of a cat in a tupperware container myself even now being out of college! :-)
Whit and I have each had three pets. All dogs. I had a butterfly as a class project but I'm not sure I would count it as a pet unless it gets me points for most unusual.
By the way, I'm totally with you on the cats and I hated yours that jumped out at you. Between that and Solomon jumping on me I was terrified going from the car to the back door! :-)
Since we've been married we've only had 3 pets, a Blue Tick Hound, Aiti, a cat Lightening that we owned for a total of 1 day and a cat Thunder. However, if we include before marriage pets we've had 9 dogs, over 50 cats, 1 bird, 4 fish, and 2 hampsters. The cats were all mine. We lived on a couple of different farms growing up and at one time we had 30 cats on the farm all at the same time. We also had other cats while I was growing up. Although cats aren't weird, we had a cat when I was a kid that liked us to pin a clothes pin on the tip of her tail where it was just fur and not skin. She would then run and slide on the kitchen floor to get it off and come back to us purring. If we didn't do that often enough for her liking, she'd push the clothes pin to us so that we'd do it some more.
So funny, Tam! You are a great story teller. I could read them all day!
~alissa
Me? I've had one pet (what can I say . ..didn't come from a family of pet lovers). I begged for one when I was little but we had lots of allergies in the family. Now I'm quite content without one - although Ryan will probably get a dog someday.
One summer my sister came home from high school and her ap biology teacher had asked her if I would want to have the class's goldfish. I was in elementary school and ecstatic to FINALLY have a "pet." Wouldn't you know that we had to go one vacation a week after my sister brought it home for me . ..and the neighbor's we entrusted it to let my pet fish die. I've never been the same.
According to Callie:
"well for tami's last question i'm thinking i've had around 20 pets including 5 dogs that we've had. we had a ton of cats (over 20) at one time but i think some of those were ryan and david's too and some were ones no one claimed so i'm going to keep it at 20...one pet was a little dog we named wimpy but it was mean to david so we had to get rid of it...and two were Squeaky and Crackers - two ducklings that were left at our house in town when we were pretty young, by uncle brad one easter morning which we raised in town as pets and eventually let go into the wild when they were grown.
i'm not counting any farm animals since i didn't get attached to them....i named our calf Hamburger : )"
I would put Callie's quota for cats at near a hundred with how many kittens have been born the past few years . ..but for now, she and I will claim 21 pets (unless Hamburger the calf counts!).
Funny Story!!!
Total Pets-68
Dogs-2
Cats-7
Hamster-9 including the babies that the mom ate YUCK
Fish- at least 50, if not more
Most unusual- J said a cool eel, that would eat other fish. WERIDO
I forgot all about your awesome cat stories. I am glad you brought them back.
Oh my, Tami, this story REALLY cracked us up. Great, thanks for sharing!!
We had Hannah, who got hit by a truck about a month after we moved to the country, then went through Reba, Cocoa, and Bailey, who all ran off to find human beings that would actually pay attention to them. We tried to get another one, but the Humane Soceity refused us, saying we were unfit. (true story)
We used to have stray cats that kepts multiplying, so the Terminator (Gary)at the pleading of his wife, rigged up a way to corral them into a cage and murder them in cold blood. It was during a Gramm House reunion and I don't think Sarah F. has ever quite forgiven him. Is a pet still a pet if it's unwanted? We will count 4 dogs.
oh my word. this was a hysterical post. :) i truly appreciate a good laugh. :)
~shar
ps-i hate cats, too.
and marla, that kills me that the humane society wouldn't let you adopt another pet. :)
Marla, that story is almost as good as Tami's - Unfit pet parents! Too funny!
Well, this one is hard for me to figure out. I have no idea how many pets Mom had as a child. She lived on a farm so could easily have had dogs and cats, but since she never has talked about them, I don't suppose she was attached to any of them, so since there is no way of knowing, I'm going to assume she had no pets until after she got married. So, as best I can guestimate, 36 total pets.
Most unusual - a Peacock
If I need to have a large number of pets to get points - can I count the 4,000 chickens I had to gather eggs from each day? :-) Can't really say they were pets, though. I intensely disliked them! But then, you disliked your cats, too! :-)
Well, tami, I'm going to trust your counting on the pets and just add Matt's numbers to it. I hope you remembered to count the rabbits that our next door neighbor's dog also killed. I think that dog killed a total of 5 animals...one of which was a rabbit we were babysitting.
oh, also, do tirzah's puppies count? or just the one we kept longer than the rest?
119 pets. Most unusual would probably be our saltwater fish. I loved them! They were so comical.
by the way, my mom took her Tupperware container home with her...she didn't leave the cat in it. Tupperware is expensive!! :D
Also, I think we just kept a tiny spot of the lid open so the possessed cat could breathe. That cat was truly insane! I remember once climing the stairs to our second floor and looking behind me to see the cat at the bottom of the steps. His tail began to swish back and forth and terror gripped my heart! Before I could get away, the cat had dashed up the stairs and onto my head. He clawed around till I was able to throw the thing back down the stairs and run to my room and hide! It's crazy now when I think about it that I actually felt sorry for that dumb cat when my mom got rid of him!
i forgot to say 10 of those were Matt's cats.
let's see...
4 dogs (yeah, mom covered that story)
2 horses (mom, how could you forget cara and image?)
5 fish...all of which where named ben and jerry...after the final jerry (or was it ben?) died i decided goldfish were not my forte
about a bagillion cats...it all started with 1, minnie (named after the mouse because her ears were huge) who had four kittens, of which sunny had four more kittens, so that's at what, 9? then there were a bunch of strays that would hang around our house because of the plethora of other cats, all of which we never fed (don't tell the humane society!) but we also never had a mouse problem (that is until dad killed all the cats)...so i'm going to take a stab at this ridiculous math problem and say around 20 cats...unless you only want to count the original 9, cause i can live with that, too.
i think that's everything. thanks for the fun, tam!
Tami you crack me up! That story was HILARIOUS!
We are not animal lovers. All our animals are from our past...
Michael- 2 dogs
Mindy- 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 goldfish that I fondly named "Carol" after my mom. "Carol" was also found floating on her back and got flushed down the toilet into goldfish Heaven. :)
6 total pets for us!
Okay - here are our answers to the last few questions:
number of cavities - let's go with 10 (I am really not sure how many I have had - but I think that is a fair number - Kory has had 4 of those)
shoe size: Kory - 10, Me - 8. so 18 combined
And animals - Kory has had 8 pets and 4 fish (no cats) I have had 7 pets and approx 6 fish.
So, 25 pets - 10 of them fish and 1 a cat.
I think that should get us caught up!
Oh, I was reading mom's post and I forgot about Bailey so add one more pet to our tally (26 total).
By the way, I am not counting the cats that lived at my parent's house. Because honestly, they freaked me out and I hated them. They were not my pets!
The one cat that I did include in my tally was named Ester and she lived at Ringger Feeds. We used to buy her cat food and toys at the grocery store and then go visit her with our treats. She is the one cat I actually liked (but I think that is because I was too little to know any better!)
That was a great post tami. You can sure make a person laugh.
Lets see pets.....
Total pets: 75
Cats 40 (they seemed to get hit by cars often and we would always get more.)
Dogs 8
Fish 20
Birds 2
Bunny 2
Gerbil 2
Lizard 1
My favorite most interesting pet was the two perakeets that we had named misses and twerk. My dad spent hours in this little tiny room under the steps training them. We would let them out of their cage and they would fly around and land on our finger if held up. They would sit on our heads and peck at our hairs and when we ate dinner they would fly around and land near our plate(thankfully not on it) and we would feed them tiny pieces of food. I really loved having them and they were pretty interesting. However, we had to go on vacation and so we went them over to wuethrichs to be birdsat and they escaped their cage, ate one of her plants and both died:( (I laugh now, but it was somewhat sad when it happened). Nicks unusual pet was his lizard he had.
I am going to have to estimate on some of our pets.... when you live on a farm pets die pretty fast so you replace them pretty fast too. And my dad has a thing for animals that not everyone has on a farm and they are truly have all been pets not livestock we never ate any of these animals.
Total pets = 123 (Kirk 1, Me 122)
50 cats
10 dogs
2 peacocks -most unusual (sorry Pam)
20 pygmy goats
5 rabbits - 2 raised from the wild
15 fish
1 piglet
20 ducks
These animal totals are combined over my 24 years of life so we didn't always have that many at once.
aunt pam, how many of your pets were cats?
Post a Comment