Remember to leave your comment in "Secret Word" by clicking the favorite things' icon >>>*This post is not part of "Secret Word"
Time Magazine recently came out with 2009's 100 Most Influential People list. As I was looking through it, I had a few thoughts. The first being that I didn't know many of the names and faces listed. I realize they don't each have a direct influence on me personally, but it made me wonder how many people have an influence on my life without me even knowing?...who am I letting affect my opinions, thoughts, and even convictions? They may not change them, but they may soften them. They may not tell me what to think...but they tell me what to think about. As I read over those names I wondered, who do I let have more say so in my daily decisions...some person I've never even heard of or Jesus, who should have my undestracted obedience? Oh, how I hope it's Jesus, but I can honestly say that wouldn't be true every single day.
The other thought I had was, who would be on my list if I were to make a list of 10 people that significantly influenced my life last year? So, here is my list I made (in no particular order) of 10 people that had a significant influence on my life last year (I didn't list anyone that I personally know because that would be too many to name!):
1. Dr. Simeon - doctor
If you were around me at all last year you know that I was on a pretty intense detoxifying eating plan. I have Dr. Simeon to thank for that, who was the creator of the plan I followed. He would hold the place as having the most tangible influence on my life for 2008! :)
2. Chuck Bently - ceo Crown Financial Ministries
I made it my new year's resolution last year to get out of debt. I followed Crown's financial road map, and thanks to their resources, unexpected gifts from God, and even faithful service on the part of my Huber family in Indiana, I was able to get out of debt!!!
3. Jim Carrey - actor
I know...you're probably confused. It's actually this, I heard that there was a movie called, "Yes Man" (which turns out to be a VERY dumb movie...I slept through 99% of it)...but the idea made me think, which led me to a resolution that instead of being sad that life isn't as exciting as it was in my college days, that I should start saying, "yes!" when invited or asked to do something...this made a HUGE difference in my life! I can't complain that there isn't things to do when I live by this rule. :)
4. Rachel Ray - chef
There hasn't been a lot of manifestation of this influence because of Dr. Simeon, but Rachel Ray's magazine inspires me to become a good cook...cooking is a pretty big insecurity of mine, but she seems to make everything look easy, so last year, I would pour over her magazines, and was inspired to learn to cook...which I'm still working on!
5. Beth Moore - author & speaker
I did Beth's Bible study on Believing God...a study of faith, which I desperately needed. This could be an entire post...or blog...by how choosing to have faith again has changed my life. Her Bible study was a springboard into so many more lessons learned and an even deeper relationship developed!
6. Gilmore Girls - tv show
I have to laugh even just looking at the name, "Gilmore Girls" 'cause last year, I was sick for about 2 weeks straight where I watched many episodes of this mother/daughter show. I just remember laying in bed with kleenexes pilled on my nightstand, plugged sinuses, high fever, and being completely depressed that Rory dropped out of school and was ruining her life...I felt like I needed to call her and talk some sense into her. That's when I realized it was time take a break from that show...probably go study more Beth Moore! :)
7. Barack Obama - president
Next to family, I think my thoughts have been the most occupied with President Obama, wondering how life will change. Last year's a election was a significant one for everyone, and I was no exception. I still believe that the hand of the king is in God's hands and he can turn it however He wants. Even if they may seem few and far between, I rejoice in some of the good decisions that he has made!
8. Little Momma - mother & blogger
If you were an Inoue sister last year, you would have made a new friend whose blogging name is Little Momma. She is a mother of 2 young boys and completely in love with her husband. She is one of the most creative people I have ever "met" in my entire life. This year, she pretty much closed her blog because of unavoidable circumstances, but it was great being her friend last year. I miss ya, Emily!
9. David Barton - historian
Mr. Barton has been a longtime hero of mine...he is up there as one of the most respectable men I know. He would be on my list as one of the influential people of my life, so he had to be on this list.
10. Mike Huckabee - politician
If you read my blog at all during last year's elections, you know that my life was influenced by Gov. Huckabee. I still hold him in high esteem and think he has gone on to do great things despite not winning the Republican nomination. He fought hard and I'm still proud that I supported him.
4 comments:
Hey Tami, Did we tell you that Huckabee was in Indy a few weeks ago? He was the keynote speaker at a banquet for the pregnancy center that I used to work at. He was fantastic!
I love your post Tam! Very fun indeed. I had to agree on all of them for you.
I love that Gilmore Girls made the top 10. I miss Lorelai and Rory... I wish that I could be half as witty as Lorelai. And be able to eat all that food and stay actress skinny. :)
What a thoughtful list and fun to read!
Post a Comment