
The verse is talking about the results of trials being this
"hope that does not disappoint."
That phrase lingered in my mind tonight as I drove home from meeting with my mentor. Those words met me at a place where I've found myself shying away from words like hope, great expectations, or promises fulfilled...and instead, I find myself more comfortable with verbage of a cynic. I have to be honest, I found myself thinking, "That's a really bold statement. If I was Paul, making that statement, I probably would have felt the need to pad it with a lot of qualifiers so that we're not REALLY bitter when hope does disappoint."
I'm still processing it.
There seems to be this cause and effect pattern in this verse:
That phrase lingered in my mind tonight as I drove home from meeting with my mentor. Those words met me at a place where I've found myself shying away from words like hope, great expectations, or promises fulfilled...and instead, I find myself more comfortable with verbage of a cynic. I have to be honest, I found myself thinking, "That's a really bold statement. If I was Paul, making that statement, I probably would have felt the need to pad it with a lot of qualifiers so that we're not REALLY bitter when hope does disappoint."
I'm still processing it.
There seems to be this cause and effect pattern in this verse:
God's cause and effect for trials is:
Trials>Perseverance>Character
= Hope
.But why does it seem to play out differently in my life as I often maneuver and survive my way through "trials" in my life? This cause-effect patten often looks more like this...
My cause and effect:
Trials>
A lot of self talk of this not being fair or what am I doing or not doing to cause this>
determination to 'get through' this>
viewing 'happiness' as the desired end>
pride in making it through>
fear of it happening again
= Bitterness and disappointment if and when it does
Complete opposite result from God's.
It's led me to wonder, "How do I tangibly live out these trials so that God has His work through these difficult experiences rather than Satan?
Evie (my mentor) taught me tonight about the value of living life with
"palms up".
That there's a relinquishing that is part of tribulation...letting go of personal desire, motive, agendas, way of processing and desired ends. Letting God change my perspective of the trial so to develop His perspective of life and this world...
the very definition of wisdom.
But how? How do I live "palms up" actively when all I want to do is the opposite? When I go through trials, I often let Satan pour fear into my heart. And with that, I live out the reflex of fear which is the need to control. So, you can imagine my excitement as I looked at the rest of the verse:
"And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us"
Love...the very thing that God said will cast out fear. So often, I reject His love and choose fear. I have sooo much to learn!
So, this is my prayer this week:
That God would soften this heart and open it wide so He can pour His love in my heart. And that His love will turn my "palms up" as He has His way in my heart and life through this valuable experience called trial.
Thanks for letting me "think aloud"...I don't mean to be confusing. :)
6 comments:
Tami-
hey its been forever, I tried your site randomly to see if it still exisited since the good ole days at ISU and to my surprise and excitement it was:) Hope you are doing well, I miss all the ISU girls and times. This post is perfectly timed for me personally and right on! Thank you so much for your transparency and for sharing your heart. Keep holding on to His promises... and thanks again for sharing:)
Tami, like I said Sunday, I love your thoughtful posts. This one wasn't just thoughtful, it was convicting. Your transition through trials sounded very much like my own...especially the fear at the end.
It just reaffirms to me this morning what the Holy Spirit has been nudging me to do more: to saturate my heart and mind with the Word. Then His love can really pour into my life...otherwise it's going to be something else that has the greater "roar" in me.
Love you Tami.
ps. i love that dear Evie too.
Not at all confusing!
I really appreciated this, actually. I recently found myself praying to God in a bout of frustration that I thought He had taught me the same lesson a few too many times and might as well move on to something else. :)
I totally relate with feeling cynical/fearful, and I have been thinking lately how it is total proof of my: (a) lack of faith and (b) like you said, refusal to accept his love. This hit home and was an awesome reminder/encouragement.....
Now I think I am the one who isn't making sense..... buy anyway, I hope you are doing super. Have a lovely day! :)
I'm reading Desiring God, by John Piper and he speaks a lot about these concepts.
Piper's main message is that our joy needs to come from God, through God and our joy brings God pleasure. It is tough to swallow, because I am not by nature a very joyful person. However, I need to be, because it pleases God to see me satisfied with him alone.
i love to hear your thoughts, tam. makes me miss you. i LOVE your vulnerability. you're such a wonderful girl. i can relate to these feelings. feeling tentative after trials, not "not disappointed".
anyway... come visit again soon.
love ya,
shar
I appreciated all the comments!!!!!!!!!
Meg...weird!!! I was JUST thinking of you yesterday. It's GREAT to hear from you! I mozied on over to your blog and checked up on your life! If it's okay, I'm going to add it to my blog feed!!! Thanks so much for commenting!!!
Bek, you always give me courage to post 'seriously'. Thanks for letting me 'reclaim my blog'. :)
Christen, you weren't confusing either!!! :) I LOVED reading your thoughts as I can COMPLETELY relate. I love you!
Jonathan, I really appreciated your comment! I think it's pretty rare to be a 'joyful person' naturally...I know I'm not. I was actually just visiting a friend who was checking out John Piper's church. It was interesting!
Shar, I already said this on your blog, but I would love to visit you again! It was one of the most refreshing weekends I had spent last year...or whenever it was that I visited you! I miss you!
Post a Comment