June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Through the Night

Well folks, I'm here...3rd shift. There are some obvious perks to thirds...higher pay, more time to do fun things while I "work", feels like a slumber party with coworkers, get my days off. However, I had some misconceptions regarding this shift and the grim realities are beginning to stare me in the face...such as:

  • I can't go home and have a full day to do what I want after a quick nap because apparently, I can't live on 2 hours of sleep.
  • Having nothing to do at work can actually get pretty boring.
  • I'm starting to consider cross stiching as a possible hobby.
  • Looking clean and fresh...or human for that matter...is simply impossible at the end of this shift.
  • There's only so many Sudoku puzzles I can solve.
  • No matter how much coffee I drink, my eyes still insist on blinking much longer than what is socially acceptable.
  • The memory card in my phone fills up quickly when taking pictures of my puffy eye, my desk, my mug, the pictures I have on my desk, the back of my head, my profile, my feet, my coworkers when they're not looking, their desk, their mug, their pictures on their desks......
  • All of a sudden, forwards are really funny.

I actually tried documenting my night last night, and it went something like this:

  • 9 hours to go...I'm already tired and have run out of things to look up online.
  • 7 hours to go...wow, I'm really tired. Is my pink eye getting worse or are my eyes just that blood shot?
  • 4 hours to go...who would have thought that walking to the bathroom would be the most exciting part of my evening? can't wait until break...4 hours from now.
  • 2 hours to go...I can't tell if I'm still alive or not...or if that sentence even made sense.
  • Time to leave...oh no. I just got my second wind.

I didn't realize until I came in this evening how absurd that post was and have concluded that as hard as I try, my blogging is simply not interesting through the night.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh Tami! Yuck, yuck. Hang in there.... one more hour!

Mindy said...

lol...you crack me up!

If you decide to try cross stitching I have a quilt you can work on. I started it when I was 10 and I only have one or two blocks done. I'm happy to pass it along to you if you'd like... :)

Tara said...

I would have to disagree Tami! I love your middle of the night delirious posts! I found it rather amusing myself!

taryn said...

Where do you work?

Anonymous said...

Tami as a former night shift worker, I can sympathize 100% with your position.

When you work nights, it is not the time at work at night that is the problem. I didn't mind being there at night. The problem is that the whole rest of your life becomes chaos. You don't know if you should be awake, or sleeping or eating. You find yourself laying awake at 3:00 AM on your off nights and staring at the ceiling. Then you finally fall asleep at like 4 and then sleep til 2 in the afternoon. Things just become one hot tranny mess.

Pam said...

Tami, I also used to work nights. You do finally get into a routine. I ususally stayed up a little while when I got home from work, to unwind a little, then slept until mid-afternoon. I would then have the rest of the afternoon and evening for my "day" and to be with friends. It is hard to adjust though, but you do work out a routine. There's a reason they pay more for night shift!

arlan and katie said...

Oh Tams, NEVER think your posts are uninteresting! I'm trying to think up a list of things for you to do at work...I'll keep you "posted" :)

Anonymous said...

Ummm....how about a new blog. You and Rebekah are slacking pathetically right now.