June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Monday, November 10, 2008

Just Call Me Jonah

I'm not going to go into explaining our accident that we were in the past Sunday since Bek and Tara have already done a great job explaining what happened. I thought I'd post a picture that Tara had on her blog of how the vehicle ended:




I told Aaron & Bekah, and Denny & Bonnie that I feel like Jonah. This has now made the 4th accident in less than a year plus getting hit by a car while I was walking out of a store last week. I suggested to Denny and Bonnie that they toss me out the side of the car to make this madness end! :) I just wonder what my Ninevah is. Needless to say, I came to work today and enrolled for a life policy.



There are so many thoughts that go through your head in the few seconds that the vehicle is spinning around...and many more since it stopped. I just remember looking at Tara and then turning around and staring at my sisters and Darci the whole time we were rolling. It was such a scary and desperate feeling watching the most important people in my life being thrown around a car with absolutely no control or ability to stop it. I just kept my eyes locked on them, hoping that I could somehow will them not to get hurt or die. I'm sure the entire event felt much more dramatic than what really happened, but it definitely makes me thank God that He was protecting us the entire way down the embankment. I can't imagine how horrible it would have been to watch it from behind like Matt and Jarod had to.


Well, the reason for my post is that when these kind of scary events happen, heros always emerge...and this day was no exception. Just a few minutes after we crawled out of the car, I had a missed call from a Michigan number. I didn't know who it was, but was hoping it was someone that could drive by and pick us up. I called it back, and realized I had called Aaron Plattner's phone. Now, thinking back, I never even let Bekah tell me why she had been calling, but just went into telling her what had happened. Immediately, she said she would call Denny and Bonnie and worked out a way for us to get home since we weren't all going to fit into Matt and Rebekah's van. Matt, Tara, and I ended up sitting in the cop car for about 45 min-an hour while the rest of them waited at the nearest exit. I know that Bekah had an assignment due that she needed to work on, and Aaron had an early morning...they never complained once and was so sweet to wait and take us to meet Denny and Bonnie. Thanks, Aaron and Bekah for being so selfless and working out a ride home for us!!! You were truly our heros that night...so here's to you, Aaron and Bekah!



I'd also like to name Denny & Bonnie as heros because they were already past Michigan City, IN (where we met them with Aaron and Bekah), and turned around so they could give us a ride home. They never said, but I'm pretty sure they sat there and waited for us for several HOURS!!! Again, not one complaint...they only seemed to be thankful that we were safe. It had been a long weekend for them, and I'm sure the last thing they wanted to do was wait...but they were so quick to serve...so here's to you too, Denny and Bonnie! You two have been my heros is many ways already, and this was just another way that you were one to us again. Love you.



I'd also like to mention "Scott"...the young college guy that stopped to help us out. I appreciated that he stopped and helped us. He was in shorts, and it was freezing!!! He even took off his shoes so one of us could wear them if we wanted. He'll never read this blog...but it's my own personal shout out to that young man, who definitely did not need to help and was so sweet. Thanks, Scott...you're now an official 'Silly Nothings' Hero. Here's to you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need a vacation, and you Nineveh is maybe south Florida? Gather some of your friends and come to Florida for a week or two. It's beautiful here right now, temps in the low 70's in the afternoon, mid 60's at night. Plus I drove all around Naples and Ft. Myers today and only saw one small patch of ice, and almost zero snow, so you should be safe with the driving.

Your car picture reminds me of the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean. It looks like it had been in the ditch for 100 years. It must be the darkness and shadows and stuff.

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness, Tami! That car picture looks like a scene from a scary movie! I still can't believe you all walked away- still praising God for that miracle.

Rebekah said...

Tami, You beat me to it!! I was wanting to do a "hero" post on them all too but you always say it so much better than I do. So here is a hearty AMEN from me!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tami, we were so happy to be able to do something to help. Our hearts were so concerned. We could never have driven on home without doing something. We love you guys so much and just praise God for his wonderful mercy and protection.
lots of love, Bonnie and Denny

Jami said...

Tami I am so thankful you are okay. I got teary reading about it on Rebekah's blog last night and then again when I retold it to Clint! Praise God you're all safe. And what is this about you getting hit??! Oh you poor girl! :)

Love you!

hubergal said...

i, too, am wanting a more detailed story of being hit in a parking lot by a car. what in the world?!!
~shar

Mindy said...

So glad you're okay Tami! Praise the Lord for his protective hand on that vehicle...it looks a mess!

Kasey said...

I've been reading the accounts of the accident on Tara's and Rebekah's blogs, and have been waiting for yours. I am so glad that you were all okay. It sounded too scary. You know, more than most of us, just how precious life is. I love you so much, friend and I'm glad that God has continued to protect you through some pretty crazy stuff. Its obvious He's got plans for you!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Jonah,
One of the first things I thought when my mom told me of your accident was, "I can't believe something ELSE happened to Tami!!!"

Crazy! So thankful you are all safe.

Congrats to Aaron, Boox, A. Bonnie, U. Denny and uh...Scott for being brave heros! :)

Christen Leigh said...

Ahhh! That is awful! I actually wonder if we saw your car in the ditch?

I am SO thankful you guys were ok!

And.... I am interested about the getting hit by a car in the parking lot story, too! You should write a post about it!!