June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's Got Me Thinkin'...

On Sunday, Denny Kaufmann preached on the story of the prodigal son. I rememberd a conversation with Jeff Leman while I was in India and he was saying how so many times we forget why Jesus even told that story. Jeff was saying that the story was directed towards the Pharasees and the point of the story isn't necessarily the son who left, but the son who stayed home...and this got me thinking.
As much as I hate to admit it...I relate to that oldest son. I became a Christian when I was 10, and even though I went through a period of my life when I strayed from Him...for the most part, I've done what was right. I find myself wondering if God has forgotten about me or if He's just chosen to pass me by...whether it be life circumstances, career, or friendships. Sometimes I want to say, "I've stayed here with You all this time. But you've never killed the fatted calf for me, put a ring on my finger, or thrown some big party for me". I wonder why He chooses to give, what I consider to be the good gifts, to so many others but somehow seems to forget that I'm sweating out in the field.
But then I read His response, "And He said to him, 'Son, you have always been with me, and all that is mine is yours. 'But we had to celebrate and rejoice, for this brother of yours was dead and has begun to live, and was lost and has been found.'"
He didn't say, "All that is mine will be yours"...He said it IS mine. I lose sight of what's right around me and start wishing for the party...when He's wanting me to accept all that He has...His character, life perspective, wisdom, and just the very pleasure of being with Him and working with Him.
I'm sure He just wants to say, "Oh Tami...if only you'd take your eyes off wanting the world and look up to see that I've given you heaven".

On a different note: Question #6
How many cavities have you and your partner had?
Josh and I have had 2...both me, I'm afraid.

Bonus Points: Honorary Team Alissa and Duane would have gotten the bonus points on the coffee/pop question since Alissa likes to drink her drinks just like I do...but she says they're not playing...so here's an honorable mention to Team Kieser!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Tami, I think you are about to get a VERY, VERY rare spiritual answer from me on a serious issue, so make sure you are sitting down.

I also hear what you are saying, because when I look at my life over the past 8 years, (I've been a Christian since I was 16) I also think "what is wrong?". I have followed the mold, I have seemed to stay out of trouble, I obviously am much further from being perfect than you are Tam, but in general I try to always do the 'right' thing. I was a nurse, who served the most helpless people in society, I have stayed out of trouble, I've treated girls with respect, didn't party wildly and basically lived the "cliche" story book Christian life.

Yet it seems everyone around me was "happier" they had cute kids, beautiful wives/husbands, good jobs, they were always busy on weekends, always involved in some 'awesome' group at church that was serving GOD way better than me. All I had was a BMW.(Traci)

Bottom line, I fell into that trap of thinking, I have served GOD better than that person, so why are they more blessed than me.

However I found comfort/answers in a couple of things. Moving to Florida was huge for me, because it was kinda like hitting the reset button on my life. I had to rebuild my life from the ground up. I basically had to start from scratch, find a brand new church, find brand new friends, a brand new career. It forced me to look at how GOD has blessed me in life. Now when I look back at my Central Illinois life, I treasure it and can't wait to make my occaisonal visits.

Also another thing that really made me think about this was John MacArthur. Now I am a long time MacArthur fanatic, he is the Jack Bauer of Evangelical Christianity. He will take on anyone without apologies. Anyways he took on the "Joel Osteen your best life now delusion".

MacArthur's point was that, God has never promised you a great life, God has never promised to give you a lot of money, God has never promised you a beautiful wife and cute kids. So when you spend your life digging for blessings that you aren't getting, you are going to be miserable. All God has promised you is the grace to get through life, and a home in heaven.

It was hard for me to hear, because I have such high expectations in life, but I know in my heart that as usual Johnny MacA was right. If God choses to NOT even give starving children in Africa a small meal, why should I expect to have a big house on a golf course, filled with kids and puppies?

Anyways sorry about the length, and I know it is a little depressing, but it is the truth. Also I still battle the same things you mention, I just have some answers now.

:)

Jessica said...

Wow, Tam your post and Jon, your comments were really very inspiring and challenging. Thanks for opening up so much about your thoughts!

Cavities...total of 5.

Laura said...

I remember the first time I heard about the story really being about the older son a couple of years ago. It is really eye-opening to think of it that way.

Total number of cavities: 11
David has had 5, and I've had the rest. Sadly, they have all happened in the last couple of years. I have flourosis (I had too much floride as a kid which weakens teeth and causes them to get divits in them which lead to cavities). If you live somewhere where you drink water from a well, it is worth it to get the water tested, especially if you have children ages birth to 7 when too much floride causes the most amount of damage! Very bad florosis causes white teeth that look like they've been whitened, but that is the worst kind. Other people will get brown, coffee with cream colored spots on their teeth.

Tami said...

Hey Jonathan...thanks for that post. You're right, I'm glad I was sitting. :) just kidding. It really gave me a lot to think about, and I agree completely. It's good to take a look back since I can usually see clearer that way...and yes, why would I expect more when He would even see fit that some starving child in Africa go without a meal. He knows best.
I think you hit it all on the head. Thanks for posting that!

Anonymous said...

Great posts Tami and Jon... it's giving much to think about and pray about.

Cavities... I'm not for sure but I am guessing a total of 8. (I probably have some I don't know about since it's been far too long since I've been to the dentist.)

Mindy said...

Great post Tami. Thank you for that. I think we all fall into thinking along the same lines at some point. For me it is when I am being selfish. When I am focused on others or how I can serve others those thoughts don't enter my mind. But when I'm focused on me, me, me I get discontent.

Cavaties for us, I think 6.

Rebekah said...

8 cavities...and all mine!!! yikes! I unfortunately inherited the Inoue's bad teeth...Yes Jon, the Hubers have the thighs and the Inoues have the teeth!

Anonymous said...

Tami, now I feel bad that I said I wasn't playing. Its not that I don't enjoy the game, I just like reading everyone else's comments. That's all!! Thanks for the honorary bonus points!
~Alissa

Amber said...

10 cavities for Callie JO and I . . .evenly split with 5 a piece.

Amber said...

I half hesitated to write this . ..but I"m going to. : )

I was struck by the truth of what your wrote Tam . .. and jon too. But I had to think how like satan to discourage anyway he can. Truth be told, in many ways, I'm much more the prodigal. I made many choices that took me far from God before I made a choice to turn to Him. So where does satan come in from the other side?

When I'm with people who made the choice early to run to God, I'd be lying if there weren't times it's easy to be discouraged during conversations or times together thinking what could have been or feeling like I go around like a black sheep sticking out in the crowd. Thinking through it - the thought that the father threw such a party is encouraging. It can speak to the insecurities and regret that may have been in the heart of the prodigal son.

I don't know where I'm trying to go with this . . .but I was just struck at how satan works . . .regardless of the role "we" may play in this story. The encouraging factor is this:

I know God brings beauty from ashes. I know he forgets. I know both sons were claimed by their father. And I praise Him for that.

The lesson I took? I need to quit looking backwards and praise God for what He has given and is mine today.

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Tami and Jon- I enjoyed both of yoru comments, what a reminder, "that our earthly possession will mean nothing in the end. Thanks for the reality check.

J-0
Me- 5

Tara said...

Ok, I'm realizing I'm very far behind in this game. I kind of forgot about it. I've had about eight cavities. Whit on the other hand has about every tooth worked on in her mouth! Do root canals count as cavities. I would say Whit has had at least 15. So we total 23.