June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Taco Pie


For those of you who remember a while ago that there was a discusion about 'taco pie' and how I dream of having that for dessert or as my birthday cake some day...well, I found a recipe and thought I'd post it since I wasn't alone in thinking a 'taco pie' sounded awesome!

1 deep dish pie crust shell
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped1 pkg.
(1 1/4 oz.) taco seasoning mix
1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
Shredded lettuce
Chopped tomato
1 jar (8 oz.) taco sauce, divided usage
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided usage
12 tortilla chips, crushed

Preheat oven and cookie sheet to 400 degrees. Thaw pie crust 10 minutes. Prick bottom and sides of pie crust thoroughly with fork. Bake pie shell on cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
In skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is browned; drain excess fat. Add taco seasoning mix to meat according to package directions. In a small mixing bowl, combine refried beans and 1/3 cup taco sauce; mix well. Layer half of refried bean mixture in bottom of pie crust. Top with half of seasoned meat, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Repeat layers, excluding tortilla chips. Bake on preheated cookie sheet 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Top with lettuce, tomato; add additional taco sauce to taste.


This is a subtle hint to anyone who wants to make me this...or not so subtle. ;)

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

Tami...I am so glad that you posted this...when your month is over, we will have to gorge on this!!! It sounds awesome!!

It cracked me up to see this post because I just pictured us sitting in my hospital room watching that show about diners and dives and having to practically wipe the drool from our chins!!

love you tami,
bek

Tami said...

Bek, I just posted the picture which I bet you didn't see...but this one looks like it has sour cream in it too! yummy! yes...we'll definitely have a gorge fest!!!
Also, you'll never guess what I bought to read while I worked yesterday...2 cook books! They're awesome. Oh, and I drove to Kendra's today just to get my Rachel Ray's....I'm in heaven. And talk about drool. Doris (my co-worker) keeps laughing at me 'cause she can't really see me but keeps hearing me say, "Yum!" and I keep standing up to show her the awesome recipes I'm finding! :)

Pam said...

Tami,
You come to see me and I'll make it for you. Promise! It looks easy and yum!

Love,
Aunt Pam

Katie said...

Okay taco pie is my favorite. So should we set a date and I will make and whom ever wants to taste it can head over. Tami- I might admit you are strange wanting this for a b-day cake. GIRL one reason I forward to my b-day THE CAKE

Katie said...

Do you think the white layer in the picture is sour cream, so the lettuce and toppings stay. UM

Sandra said...

That Looks SCRUMPTALICIOUS:)
I think I'll make it next week for one of my meals...

Janet said...

hey Tami,

Just to let you know that I am a blogger now...looks good - wish I could get the ingredients for this over here...

love you,

Janet

Anonymous said...

I was going to say that if you come to Florida I will make this for you, than I realized that you will come to Florida sometime in the next few months and I don't want to be responsible for making Taco Pie.

Anyways it look awesome. I would probably eat the whole thing.

Jami said...

I've had taco pie before...i think it's in one of renae's recipe books and it is GOOOOOOD! :)