June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Giving Thanks...

Three more days until "Turkey Day" as they've called it here at State Farm. I don't understand what's so offensive about Thanksgiving. Turkey Day just makes us sound like crazy people getting together to celebrate an ugly bird that we end up eating. I don't know, it doesn't make sense to me.

This Thanksgiving, there's a lot of things for which I'm giving thanks. However, I want to specifically mention one today. Here at work, there's this girl that goes around the office every day that I work and empties all the trash cans. That is a LOT of trash cans because we each have one at our desk...so I'm guessing she empties about 300 trash cans in just 1 round. My guess is she's from somewhere overseas...maybe Ethiopia or Nigeria. She's very quite but without fail, I can count on her to come empty my trash can.

I was watching her one day when I first starte a few months back. She goes from desk to desk quietly doing her job and not once did I see her awknoledged for the job she was doing. Having worked in a kitchen in Oklahoma for 5 months, I know how much it can mean to have my "unimportant job" appreciated. From that day, I've made it a point to say thanks every time she empties my trash can. At times, if I'm on a call I put my customer on hold and say, "Thanks!"...she's always very shy and barely aknowledges that I've said anything to her. The people around kind of look at me funny and I've started to think maybe it's over-kill.

Today, I was working on some paper work and didn't notice she was at my desk. Suddenly, I heard her say, "Hello". I looked up and she was smiling really big. I smiled and said, "Hi. Thanks for empyting my trash can". She nodded and said, "Yes. And thank you". I know this is a very simple story...but I know that it took courage for her to muster up the Hello, and I realized the power of giving thanks. I don't know her story, but she's come to depend on my thanks in the same way that I depend on an empty trash can. It's made me wonder what opportunities are slipping by that I fail to see. Who else is waiting to be noticed that I just pass by.

So, I'm specifically thanking God for my friend who empties my trash every day, for reminding me what this season of Thanksgiving is about, and to carry it out consistently throughout the year.

To each of you who take time to read my silly nothings...thank you. I love each of you.

Tami

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Tami, once again I am so touched by your writing...really. I made Matt stop his paper grading and listen to me read your post. He just did his sigh/laugh when I was done and said, "That is So good!" I especially loved where you said she had come to depend on your thanks. How profound. IT makes me want to go around and thank eveyrone! Thanks for inspiring me to bemore thankful. Love you.

By the way, thank you for your comment on my latest post...I got to read it even though you deleted it because all the comments go to my e-mail. I loved it!

Love,
Bek

Anonymous said...

hey tam,
i loved this post. and i was wondering who deleted their post on bek's blog. I even wondered if it was you. i would have like to have read hwat you said.

love you and thanks for your post.