June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Friday, April 03, 2009

Training for my weakest moments

I was reminded of this while running yesterday. With sweat dripping down my face and huffing and puffing like the BIG BAD WOLF and feeling like I had the grace of about 3 little pigs, I found myself wondering, "How in the world am I going to run 13 miles at any point in my life, let alone within a few months?!" But that thought took me back to a lesson I learned back in college...

Matt (my brother-in-law) and I used to meet for lunch in the Bone Student Center back when we were priviledged to call ourselves ISU students. I remember it was towards the end of the school year, on a particularly warm day. Well, if you've ever been to a college campus on these kinds of days, you know that modesty is NOT the theme of the day. I think that I was probably verbally rolling my eyes at the situation to Matt because we ended up laughing about how he has his 'alternate' routs to classes on days when the temperature rises, so he could avoid the quad. Matt said that he learned that he had to build habits in his life that were conducive to his weakest moments.
He said,
"You know, 9 days out of 10, I may be fine walking through
the quad on days like today. But it's for that 10th day...that day when
I'm at my weakest, that I HAVE to make it a habit to avoid situations like
that"....

We have to build habits that are conducive to our weakest moments....
That always stuck with me.

So back on my treadmill, where time seems to s..t..a..n..d.......s....t...i...l...l, this lesson came back to me as I thought about the half marathon. I reminded myself that as much as I don't enjoy the training, I'm doing it to build "habits" for my weakest moments in that race. I don't have to train for the beginning of the race when my adrenalin will be charged up...nor the end of the race where I'm sure sheer will power will push me over that line...but I'm training for my weakest moments in that race when I want to quit.

Of course, running the half marathon is not the point to all this...but it was just a tool to remind me of this life lesson. What are my weaknesses? When are my weak moments? What habits am I building in my life that will keep me from giving in on that "10th day"? I'm good to go after an inspiring sermon, an evening with friends, a great conversation, or making a new resolution...but do I rely on spiritual adrenaline to carry me through that 10th day? Or am I building habits preparing for those moments, days, or months, when I'm feeling pretty weak?

It was good to relearn that lesson.

16 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hey Tami,
This was such a good post to read. Such a good reminder. Matt's talked to me about this before too but it was good to remember it again. I just like you said often count on adrenaline to get me through. I also don't always look at myself honestly as to how weak I can be in my weakest moments. Thansk for the thoughts Tam. I laughed about the "grace of three little pigs"!

Now for another question: (by the way, should I be posting these questions on the original 25 questions post?)

Is it visible to the naked eye?

megs @ whadusay said...

Tami - This was a really great post. Thanks.


BTW, you never answered my question:

Does it make noise?

Tami said...

Bek, I'm glad you appreciate my odd sense of humor. :)

No, you don't have to post the question under that one post...in fact, I prefer you post it on the most recent post (just like you're doing), so I don't miss seeing it!

Megan...I should have posted this so people noticed it, but if you look on the left side of my blog, I'm answering the questions there, just so people don't have to look through the comments to remember the answers...but I'll answer your questions here too until you see the answers to the side...no, it does not make noise and yes, it IS visible to the naked eye. Good questions!!!

Mindy said...

Great post Tami! I'm gald I read this this morning so I can think about it all day.

I had to laugh about you on the treadmill! Yesterday I thought of you as I was running on the treadmill! I haven't ran for a looooong time and I was dying after about 2 minutes. But it felt so good to sweat! After running a while I thought, "hey, running isn't so bad...maybe I should to a mini marathon like Tami." Then I looked down at the treadmill and it had only been FIVE minutes!

We'll see how it goes next time...not to mention that I'm SORE today!

25 question: Does it have words on it?

Tami said...

Mindy, that was hilarious! OH, how well I can relate to thinking you've ran a while only to realize it's only been a couple minutes!!! :D

Another GREAT question! The answer is yes...I'm actually going to give a small free hint here, it's singular...so it has a word on it. But I'm not going to post that on the side panel, so people will only know that if they read this comment. :)

Anonymous said...

I am always inspired by your posts, and Matt's wisdom...both such gifts from God!
-Heidi

Marie Stork said...

Such good good thoughts Tami--much to think and reflect on today! I kinda wish I could do a 1/2 marathon but I've never been a runner and I'm not sure I could. Is this your first one?

Anonymous said...

Is it warm in Illinois yet? Get off that treadmill girlfriend, hit the trail. Your training will be much more tolerable.

Also..I don't recall it ever being warm at ISU. Apparently during my time there it was winter all the time. All I remember is freezing my tail off every single day walking to class. The ISU campus is the coldest place on earth.

smw said...

that is a great thought. i feel like it could really provide focus an clarity in dealing with many issues in life.

thanks!

megs @ whadusay said...

Is it something you can eat?

megs @ whadusay said...

Oh, and thanks for pointing out the side panel - it is very helpful to see all the questions in one place!

megs @ whadusay said...

I have my first guess - its kind of random, but it is very telling of a my life right now. :)

Is it a diaper?

(That doesn't count as a question right?)

Mindy said...

I have a guess too. Is it a salt or pepper shaker?

Marla said...

I have a guess: Dial soap

Tami said...

In answer to the guesses, no, it's not a diaper. No, it's not a salt or pepper shaker, and no, it's not dial soap...but those are really good guesses!

Jami said...

I love you, my friend!!

Thanks for sharing this.