June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I've been sick...

...and it's not fun.


Obviously, this stomach flu has been 'going around', and I caught it. :( I tend to feel really sorry for myself when I'm sick and seem to justify every excuse for self pity.

Well, since I've been spending more time than what is needed on the pitty-pot...among other 'pots' :), I thought it was time for a chin-up and give some thanks (inspired by my friend, Taryn):

So here's my T10 list of things I've been thankful for this past week:

10. Plumbing. I think about this every time I get sick...Oh how being sick would be that much worse if I had to walk outside and have all my senses (which are already more sensitive from being sick), experience all that out-houses have to offer. I always have an increased affection for toilets, sinks, and running water when I'm sick.

9. Work. I had to think as I was calling off for my second night in a row, how blessed I am to have a job that I could call in to. Not only that, but one that actually has provided an allotment of days where they will still pay me as if I had worked even though I didn't...simply because I was sick. Wow...I know that seems like a 'given', but it really amazes me.

8. Popsicles. They have been a lifesaver these past couple days. Great to the taste. Easy on the stomach.

7. Rob and Laura Petrie (Dick Van Dyke Show). Most of the time, I've just slept...but being couped up in a house by myself has not been that terrible with some time spent with my favorite TV couple, the Petries.

6. My Snuggie. Check out the cheesy video by clicking here!

Call me weird for buying one, but I'm sure you wish you had one too. :)

5. iphone. Since I don't have internet at home, my phone is the only way of keeping in touch with people outside my four walls, so although, I couldn't post from my phone, I still checked up on people's blogs! It was great.

4. Rebekah's Chicken Noodle Soup. Okay...so there's chicken noodle soup, and then there's Rebekah's chicken noodle soup. Two very different things. One is good. The other is great. Thanks, Bek!

3. Dimmer Switch. I have a new appreciation for the dimmer switch. It's truly a great invention for many situations in life, but in my case, acting as a great nightlight.

2. Family. My family is very faithful in feeling sorry for me when I'm feeling sick, and got daily calls checking up on how I was doing. Family care is probably my favorite part of being sick...that's right, I'm the baby of the family...I'm not ashamed to admit it!

1. God. Truly, whenever I'm sick, I spend a lot of time thinking...and all my thoughts just boil down to the fact that I'm so thankful to Him and all the ways He has blessed my life. It makes me thankful that I was sick, as it was a good time to stop life for a couple days and thank Him for how He continues to work in this world and in my life.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Glad you enjoyed the soup. I think my "sickness" last night was brought on by back pain again. I am going to be so glad when my back gets back to how it's supposed to be.

Love your list and love you!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you especially on Bek's chicken noodle soup. I have tried to replicate it, but it's never as good as when she makes it!! mmmm...makes me want some right now.

-Heidi

Anonymous said...

First of all...I can't believe you actually have a snuggie. I have seen the commercials, and am embarrassed for you.

taryn said...

Tami, thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I am glad you decided to do a thankful list, too... and seriously, no offense taken with the Jonas brother... ANYone sounds like a nice celebrity-look-alike after being told that I look like Richard Simmons. :)

Also, it would seem as though I spoke to soon on my blog about one of my thankfuls. About 4 hours after posting it, I, too, came down with the terrible flu bug going around. I can identify with each and every one of your thankful items as I have been battling the sickness today... I just finished a popsicle an hour ago and it was delectable. Never tasted so good. And the plumbing thing cracked me up... I was sitting there this morning actually just thankful that I'm not sick like this in a 3rd world country, having to sit on some dirt floor somewhere.

Anyway, this is getting long... but again, thanks for your comment and I hope you feel better soon!!

taryn said...

p.s. I just googled a pic of Nick Jonas... I can totally see it!!

Carmen O. said...

tam-tam, now I know who to blame for keeping the snuggie people in business and giving them money to keep their commercial playing on MY tv screen! *sob* I feel so betrayed!

ps. glad you're feeling better too. and i'm also glad someone pays you for being sick. lol