June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Thursday, January 22, 2009

12 Angry Men

Tonight, I listened to (because we're not supposed to watch) the movie, 12 Angry Men. If you've never seen it, I'd highly recommend it. I've always loved this movie...probably because I love movies where someone, in this case it's Juror #8 (Henry Fonda), is willing to stand up against the popular opinion on principle.
For those of you who haven't seen the movie, a quick recap is that there are 12 jurors deliberating over a murder case where a young man is believed to have killed his father. It seems to be an open and shut case in favor of finding the defendant guilty...that is until Juror #8 is the only one that believes there is a reasonable doubt against the guilt. The entire movie is watching each juror overcome the prejudices, inconveniences, and preconceived ideas they have in order to deliberate on facts alone.
There is one juror in the movie that always really annoys me...he's a juror that has a really bad temper and in the end wont be reasoned with because he sees his own son in the defendant and just wants to "get back" at these young kids on which he blames his hurt. In the end, he's not even making sense because he's so set on the outcome that he wants, that he refuses to acknowledge the facts before him. Something about that struck me tonight.
I saw myself in this character that has always seemed ridiculous to me. I may not be yelling over a murder case...or yelling at all...but it made me wonder how many times I'm so determined...no, stubborn...in what I want that I can't be reasoned with. Even when something else is obviously better, I'm left saying "I don't care. This is just what I want". I find myself having an open-mind, except if it conflicts with my castles in the sky. I'm okay to "hold all things loosely" before God...as long as that doesn't include my rights, dignity, or the pursuit of happiness. I like to think that I'll fight for those I love, and oh yeah, lets throw in all my opinions that I hold on subjects which I've named myself an "authority".
When God looks at me, I don't want Him to find "1 Angry Woman", but rather one who is open to Him and willing to stand against not only the crowd, but my own preconstructed desires when He gives me evidence for reasonable doubt.

5 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

Hmmm, I've never seen that movie. Your description SO reminds me of an Adventure in Odessey episode where Eugene was in a similar situation and stood up for the defendant. There was also 1 really angry man that wanted him to be proven guilty....I bet they got the idea from this movie...

Anyway, thanks for the reccommendation!

Tami said...

sarah, you're right. i think i heard the "odyssey scrapbook" on that episode and they said they got it from this movie. it's a pretty famous movie. they also made a remake of the movie where Tony from "Whose the Boss" plays on it...don't watch that one. :)

Jill said...

Tami, thanks for your comments on my blog.

I have a new appreciation for you - 3 year old SS teachers - wow, exhausting!! Feel free to ask me to help if you are ever needing someone.

I read your 40 day challenge - I wish I had half of your motivation :-) Good for you!

Love ya, Jill

Rebekah said...

Tami,
I LOVE this movie! I actually kind of forgot about it until reading this post. I agree, one of the best dramas ever. I always find it facinating that they are able to make a movie set in one room and never leave and yet create such energy and suspense.

Matt and I have always said that you feel like you know or have met someone that is just like every one of the jurors...and we always wish we were juror number 8...but like you, I can see myself as the others so often...either judgemental and angry, or comnplacent and just not caring...too absorbed in my own schedule and just wanting to move on...etc.

Tami, your post was powerful. Thank you for being so vulnerable and sharing.

I love you.

smw said...

i've never seen it, but it makes me want to.