June's Character Quality

Forgiveness vs. Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Saying Goodbye to My Champ

I'm almost at a loss for words. Aparently not completely or else I wouldn't be posting. But as I sit here, I'm not sure even where to begin. So, I guess I'll start at the very beginning since I hear it's a very good place to start.

I got in an accident last night. Other than a couple of bruised knees, a bruised chest (from the seat belt), and kind of a sore spine, I'm completely fine. I think the other driver had a broken pinky finger. It was only myself and the other driver involved. I was at the intersection of College and Landmark. I turned left on the green arrow and a girl on her cell phone wasn't paying attention and ran a red light hitting me. Of course, when she first got out of the car, she was very apologetic, but within 3 min. her story changed wondering how we both got a green light. Very suspicious. Anyway, it was not my fault, and it wont be counted to be my fault, but now I fear that the officer wont give her a ticket and my insurance will still have to pay for the accident. The officer was the most timid cop I've ever met (and I've met a lot). I felt much tougher than he was, and "tough" is not usually one of the adjectives used in describing me. Thank goodness, Tara and Holly-Rae were with me (we had met at Panera and were each driving our own car) or else I would have been very annoyed...but we ended up having some good laughs.

I was feeling great that I hadn't died last night until a lady here at work urgently cautioned me saying that she had a friend who had been in an accident thinking everything was fine and woke up 4 days later paralyzed. So, this is a call out that if no one hears from me in a week, I've not run off to Ireland or on some grand vacation, but am probably laying paralyzed in my bed. I'll try to yell out really loud so maybe some golfers will come to my aid. I knew that game had a purpose! :)

Needless to say, my poor car is totaled. At first, I was bitter feeling as though he has not lived up to his name, Champ, that Heidi and I so lovingly named him and toasted with Propel and Diet Coke in his honor. However, as I sat here, thinking about him today...I realized he has definitely been a Champ. First of all, he was there to my aid when Jerry (I tend to name innanimate objects) wrecked in January. He has also offered me amazing gas mileage. Champ has been in 2 accidents (1 before this one declaring him "totaled"), has had 4 flat tires, and has run out of gas 1 time, and wouldn't start a few times last winter (Gary and Marla can attest to that!). Now, I realize the gas was my fault, but Champ doesn't let me drive him as low as Jerry did...I learned my lesson. So, all in all, he's had a rough few months with me, and although I hope to name my next car something along the lines of "never gets in wrecks and always perfect", Champ has been a great car whenever he was running, and I'm sad to see him go. My bank account is every MORE sad considering we had a newly agreed upon plan that I would stick with Champ until he could run no more and I could pay for a new car in cash. Well, even the best laid plans wont always be carried through.

So, I'm sure there will be more updates on this situations, but as of now, I think I've said more than what would be considered interesting. Have a travel-safe day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that Champ is totalled, even though he has been through a few problems. I have not been that impressed with him. I am glad that you are safe and hope you do not find yourself paralized, like that ladie's friend...doesn't she know you had already had a few bad things happen and didn't need any more things to worry about?

love you and glad you are safe- Heidi

Jami said...

oh Tam you poor dear!! I'm so glad you're okay though!

Tater & Haley said...

Goodness Tami! I'm glad to hear that you are okay!

Anonymous said...

Were your friends witnesses to your accident, Tami? If so, then the police report should be written in your favor. If the other party accepts liability, use the 'pain and suffering' excuse and buy yourself a brand spankin' new car.

Just some free (off-hours) advise from your friendly Erie Insurance Agent,
Klint

(Funny story, btw!)

Mindy said...

Glad you're okay Tami! Car accidents are always scary. I'm glad you've kept in good spirits! Good luck finding a new car!

megs @ whadusay said...

I'm glad you are okay.

And because you are...

You are a GREAT storyteller. I appreciate the laugh today! THanks!